I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, September 12, 2008

O Death

There are an inordinate amount of eliminated teams in this post for two reasons: I was using the Elimination from the division title number before and that was screwing me up, and I'm a slack bastid who wasn't paying attention all week. Since there are a bunch of recently deceased teams for this post, I've got not one but two videos for you. Well that and I can't choose between the two. Traditional folk song "O Death" as sung by my favorite band Camper Van Beethoven will eulogize the National league teams.



RIP 2008 San Diego Padres

I still can't believe what happened to Trevor Hoffman against the Rockies last year. I don't believe what happened to the Pads this year either. How they've wasted a great year by Jake Peavy is criminal. I think the bad karma from those camo uniforms is finally starting to manifest itself.

RIP 2008 San Francisco Giants

Hampton's Law: Any pitcher who signs a contract for over 100 million dollars will immediately and irrevocably suck. Actually considering just how terrible their team is this year it's a huge victory for them not to be in last place. Plus, no Bonds.

RIP 2008 Colorado Rockies

From World Series team to fizzling out in a sweep by the even more inept Braves. There was no 20 game winning streak there to save them this year.

The American League eulogy will be by Ralph Stanley. I almost used this instead, but Motherscratcher might have been the only one to understand it and if you're going to have THAT on your blog, everyone better understand it.



RIP 2008 Oakland Athletics

I'll defer to TasteLikeDirt on this one.

RIP 2008 Kansas City Royals

The powder blues didn't help. They still have a shot to win 70 games though. Sometimes you've got to take baby steps. Taking baby steps every year since 1985 is not exactly optimal however.

Won't you spare them over till another year:

Detroit Tigers - Elimination Number = 2
Texas Rangers - Elimination Number = 3
Cleveland Indians - Elimination Number = 4

3 comments:

Motherscratcher said...

Camper Van Beethoven - Worthy faqin adversary. I'm partial to their outstanding cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men", but I guess "O Death" makes more sense here. And that link...I knew what it was before I clicked on it. Very nice.

As it turns out I should be at the Tribe game next Wed. So there is a possibility I may be there when we actually get mathmatically eliminated. So that's something, I guess. Unfortunately I'll miss dollar dog night by one day.

Oh, one other thing. Do you think that when they took that picture of Zito he already knew? He looks like a beaten man already.

dayf said...

Yeah, Pictures of Matchstick Men off an old mix tape someone left at work was what got me into Camper in the first place.

Yeah I think Barry does know there. He missed the first start of his career due to injury this year too. The curveball is still awesome, it's just the rest of his pitches have gone downhill. He needs to watch game film of Glavine and Moyer all offseason long and try to learn how to get people out when your fastball tops out at 80mph.

Have fun at the game...

Matt said...

Jamie Moyer should teach a clinic on how to effectively pitch under 85 mph.

Dear lord, I hope the Phils can keep him on as pitching coach when he retires 384 years from now.