I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Knucksie goes back in time to offer some helpful advice

One good thing about my new found love of sketching is that when things go awry and I can't get a decent post up I can just post a drawing. Here's one I did a few weeks ago about my two favorite knuckleball pitchers. How Phil wearing a late '70s era Braves uniform is giving this advice to a 1968-version Jim Bouton I don't really know. Let's just go with time travel. Phil Niekro is the twelfth Doctor.



Jim:  Oh God, I'm gonna get released. Seriously, what the fuck happened to my fastball?!?
Phil: Dude, try this - trust me

Based on Jim's 1968 Topps card


And Phil's ubiquitous Upper Deck pose


These were done a few weeks ago, so compare with the Mantle to see if I've made any progress. I played it kinda fast and loose with these drawings also. Overall I was happy with them. On the Knucksie I managed to pull off two things that confuse the hell out of me: hands and foreshortening. I'm not as happy with Jim. I really wanted to capture the despair in Bouton's eyes on that '68 card and my eyes lean more toward panic. I compensated by adding some cartoony flop sweat to Jim to get the point across. That '68 card just struck me when I saw it in my Archives binder. I wish Jim had gotten a '69 Pilots card to replace that as his final Topps card. One thing I still can't draw worth a flip is stupid hats. I'm so sick of drawing baseball caps I'm ready to exclusively draw cards from 2010 Topps205.

No comments: