I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fact Check Quickie

I'm going to be out all day and I want to get that last post off the top before I make anyone else mad for mixing politics with sports (ironically, the very thing that got me angry in the first place) so here's a quick fact check from 2008 UD Masterpieces.

60 Whitey Ford

CLAIM: Ford accomplished plenty in his career
Verdict: TRUE DAT. See for yourself.
CLAIM:
having won six World Series titles with the Yankees
Verdict: TRUE. He won in 1950, '53, '56, '58, '61 and '62.
CLAIM: in September 1955 when the southpaw from New York tallied back-to-back no-hitters.
Verdict: SAY WHAT?? Back to back one-hitters. Whitey never pitched a no-hitter. Upper Deck has turned poor Whitey into Johnny Vander Meer.

Upper Deck, once again your fact checkers FAIL.

FAAAIIIL!!!

(I am available as a freelance fact checker for reasonable rates if UD is in the market for one)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would think that Upper Deck would check their facts a little better. Have you sent them an email or letter with your findings?

--David said...

Guess that's why the front of the card has him playing with his balls...

Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised about the factchecking issue. What in heaven's name are they doing over there at UD?

dayf, if someone's mad about politics/sports we hope you don't think it's us! As usual your post got us thinking, and we were, altho maybe not articulately, agreeing with you.

dayf said...

Nah, I haven't sent UD anything. I got the idea from Thorzul's blog and I'm having fun with it. I've got five packs of the stuff queued up to fact check.

Dinged - No, I'm mad at myself more than anything, I promised I'd stay non-political and I've strayed a few times. That debacle was too ridiculous not to kvetch about though. I'm curious now if anyone out there has figured out who I'm voting for though...

Anonymous said...

Hey dayf,

For anyone interested, I sent Upper Deck an email offering my services as a copy writer immediately after I discovered the Yount error. So far I have heard nothing from them, so look for more mistakes in the future.

Under my watch, this would never happen.