I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Last Straw

I don't like Topps anymore.

I really, really don't.

UPDATE: A clarification on my position.

1) I am not calling for a boycott on Topps, nor am I boycotting them myself. Boycotting Topps for me means basically getting out of the hobby. I am merely extremely disappointed with the way they are doing business lately. If you decide to pick up some Upper Deck instead of Topps inthe near future, more power to ya.

2) Upper Deck also did a Sarah Palin card. It's pretty goddamn ridiculous as well. The difference between the UD stunt and the Topps stunt is simple. The Upper Deck set is expressly parody so some ridiculousness can be expected. I don't like the UD Palin card either since it has absolutely nothing to do with baseball other than her wearing a uniform and rounding a base (in a dogsled??). It's stupid, but I grew up on Mad Magazine and I can deal with it. This card is just tacky. I know it's a super seecrit short print chase money rip three cases card and sell it on eBay card and I'll likely (thankfully) never see it. It's still just plain tacky.

2a) Upper Deck = Mad Magazine, Topps = The National Enquirer. I know which one I prefer.

3) I don't think it's a hoax, but even if it is it's bad that collectors are so used to shenanigans from Topps and Upper Deck that it even seems plausible.

4) It's just another indication from Topps that they plan to sell their cards through gimmicky crap that people can chase to try flip on eBay for a profit and not though producing good cards that collectors want. Cards should sell themselves, it's not necessary to try to get on Entertainment Tonight or Countdown with Keith Olbermann with some crap like this to try to sell more product. However, this seems to be thr future of the hobby and I'm disappointed.

8 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Yeah, that's pretty damn awful.

Joe Martelli Jr. said...

That's a real card? If so, I may start a boycott too. This is getting stupid.

Andy said...

Hoax.

night owl said...

Oh, I don't like boycotts (who are we really hurting by doing that?), but this makes me really, really, really annoyed.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what people are upset about. Upper Deck is also going to release a ridiculous looking Sarah Palin card. Why does Topps get everyone's hate and not Upper Deck? At least be consistent. I'm not upset with either of them.

Anonymous said...

What's the big deal, seriously? It's an insert.

Steve Gierman said...

ugh.

Ryan Cracknell said...

It's definitely not a hoax unless you're thinking in the vein of Topps trying to be funny. To me it looks more akin to an ad for Classmates.com.