I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

This card doesn't belong in a dollar box


Am I just overestimating Don Drysdale? Was I tricked into thinking he was a legend by the Brady Bunch episode he was in? Am I wrong to think a 1965 (!) Topps card of Don Drysdale has no business being in a dollar box? There was a 1966 Drysdale in there too! That one had a nibble taken out of a corner by a mouse and well, it was an inferior '66 Topps card, but still! The guy is a Hall of Famer, right??


as good as the front is, the back is better. Lookit that stat line - 237 Ks with a 2.19 ERA. And a record of 18-16 which means the win stat is - and has always been -  fucking useless. The best is the cartoon. Don hit 7 homers 7 years before this card came out. so of course this could only mean...


ANOTHER RUTH?

Cartoon Don doesn't seem to be trying to dispel the idea....


Also inexplicably in the dollar box:


1961 Topps second year Hondo (there must not be a big demand for Dodgers 'round these parts)


And a 1951 Bowman Stan Lopata. Ok, it's in *ahem* well-worn condition, but how do you sell a card with a purple cinderblock wall for a background so cheaply? It's a wonder these guys stay in business....

11 comments:

Chris Mays said...

Wow ... where is this dollar box????

At all the stores out here in the east burbs, it doesn't seem like I can find anything that isn't brand new or overpriced. (One shop near here was even charging $20 in store for a wax box of 1989 Donruss. No sign of a dollar box, or anything vintage that wasn't in a case with "list price".)

On the other hand, they had dozens of WebKinz, which impressed my wife far more than me.

Greg Zakwin said...

Can I please be so lucky as you are? Pretty, pretty please?

Nice pick-ups is an understatement.

night owl said...

Drysdale does get undervalued in the card market (some well-known baseball seamheads believe Drysdale actually is overrated, so maybe the card pricers know what they're doing).

I'm not complaining -- I got a '66 Drysdale in great shape for very little over the summer.

But, yeah, you live in crazyland. Valuing Braves and confining Dodger greats to the dollar box? Who's running the show down there, the ghost of Skip Caray?

Anonymous said...

I wish that was my card shop!

Anonymous said...

Oh!...by the way...my local card shop had a trade day ;ast Sunday and I traded away my 2010 Jimmy Clausen RC (which I won for free on a forum) for a '69 Dysdale.

Steve Gierman said...

Where is this shop? Next time I'm visiting my fiancee's sister in Georgia, I HAVE to go there!!

My favorite memory from that Brady Bunch episode? Barry Williams saying "Bonus Baby" with all the conviction of puppy love.

Greg Zakwin said...

So who's down for a road trip to Georgia?

AdamE said...

How do they stay in business? $1 at a time over and over again add up real quick. You wouldn't beleive how fast a group of single moms emptied my wallet $1 at a time at this one fine establishment. Oh wait, that's probably not a story for a PG blog though...

dayf said...

I have the same problem with the single moms around here Adam.

Dang PTA bake sales...

Anonymous said...

Put them in the dollar box & they'll sell quick... it's a good business model.

There's a regular card show dealer here that buys up old collections, cherry picks the handful of cards he can turn easily on eBay and dumps the rest for 10 cents a card or $5/$10 a binder/box at the show.

Of course, he doesn't usually have 50s cards or 60s Hall of Famers...

Cardboard Icons said...

Drysdale cards intrigue me to no end ... and I ALWAYS find them in my LCS's bargain vintage boxes. They're usually a few bucks and my attention gets diverted to other old gems such as the ones I snagged a few days ago.

Good pickups.