I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, December 3, 2010

Ron Santo

"To me it is clear and unequivocal that Santo is a Hall of Famer." 


I've had this card since I was about 10. I don't remember where I got it. If you hold it up to the light you can see a "2" indented into the card. That is where I wrote how much the card was worth after I looked it up in an old price guide. I thought I was clever by writing it on the plastic sheet it was in and not on the card like some rube. I probably should have taken the card out of the sheet first. Or at least not pressed down really hard with a ball point pen. It's my very first rookie card of a Hall of Famer so who cares?

4 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Still my favorite of all his cards.

dayf said...

Kieth Olbermann sums up the anger I felt this morning when I heard.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/ron_santo_and_baseballs_shame.html

Hackenbush said...

Thanks dayf for the link to the Olbermann post. Here's a quote from the Cub's website regarding the stats, "Between 1960-74, only four players had 2,000 hits, 300 home runs and 1,300 RBI: Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Billy Williams and Santo. Also, only four players had 2,000 hits and 1,000 walks in that span: Hank Aaron, Carl Yastrzemski, Frank Robinson and Santo. Santo's 342 home runs were the most by any third baseman in his 15-season career, easily outpacing his next closest competitor in Brooks Robinson (248 home runs in that span)." Borderline my butt!

dayf said...

When Santo retired, he was one of the top 5 3rd basemen of all time. The only thing he did wrong was to play at the same time as Eddie Mathews and Brooks Robinson, and be up for election while Mike Schmidt and George Brett was playing.