I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Catching up on trades - A fair swap

This here is an original Allen & Ginter card.

It's an N22 Racing Colors of the World card of William Hendrie. Well, not of William Hendrie himself, but of a girl wearing the racing silks of his stable. After posting about it, I stuck it in a binder with the rest of my Allen & Ginter cards and forgot about it. A little over a year later I got an e-mail asking about the card. The person who e-mailed me turned out to be William Hendrie's great great granddaughter. She wanted a copy of the card for her father, so I traded it to her. That's right, I traded a 120 year old card, just like that. What a heartwarming story! So what did I get in return, you ask?

PURE AWESOMENESS!

Nolan Ryan saves the day! Hooray! Check out that card. 1970 Topps (or is it?). Playoff game! Ryan in mid pitch. A chomp out of the bottom corner of the card. How perfect is that? So who was Ryan pitching against anyway?

Wh- Whaaaa?

Eliminatoires? That doesn't sound good...

Mets 7, Braves 4??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Aaaaaah! The Mets beat the Braves! That's not good at all! The pain! The horror! The - Oh, cool! It's an O-Pee -Chee card! I don't think I have any 1970 O-Pee-Chees. And hey, it's the Ryan Express. I can overlook a Braves loss for an early Ryan card.

There were also a few hockey cards along with the Ryan including this beaut:

Jaques LaPerriere second team All-Star. This is the first card I have from this set and it's pretty cool looking. I think I did pretty well for myself, if I say so myself. Thanks for the cards great great granddaughter of William Hendrie!

Note: I misspelled Mets up above as Mats and didn't catch it because the spell checker passed it by. I changed it to Mets and the red line of mistake came up under the word because Mets is inherently wrong. That's my kind of spell checker!

2 comments:

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

Wow! I love the black background on that hockey card. Very cool.

Dinged Corners said...

"Mets is inherently wrong."

:-D

We love you.