I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bowman is mocking me

 CURSE YOU TOPPS


Ever since I broke down in shame and bought a blaster of Bowman I've totally fallen off the wagon completely and picked up some packs as well. I haven't gone completely off the rails like some people, but I've gotten about 8 packs and a few racks in addition to the blaster. All I want is a damn Jason Heyward, but the magic Bowman goblins keep putting good stuff in my packs that I can't complain about without looking like a total douche, but which are definitely not Jason Heyward. Some people get Jason Heyward in their first damn pack. Here's the highlights of my drunken regretful Bowman binge.

As you can see, I forgot to click on the 'descreening' option again. My bad. 


Surprise! I pulled a Chippah out of a pack! Yesh, I know, shocking. Problem is, two weeks ago back before I succumbed to my evil primal instincts I bought the Chipper out of a 50 cent box because I would never ever buy any crappy Bowman. So now, I have two. Oops, make that three, I pulled another one later on.


This is really cool, a Julio Teheran base and Chrome. Julio is one of the Braves' big three pitching prospects and is currently kicking some ass in High A Myrtle Beach. So far in 12 games with Rome and Myrtle Beach he's 4-3 with a 1.39 ERA, .939 WHIP, 82 strikeouts in 71 and a third innings and a 5.47 strikeout to walk ratio. Oh, also he's 19 years old. These Chrome cards curl all up to hell though.


Freddie! I really want the Heyward Topps 100 card, but I'll definitely take the Freddie. Freeman is the guy who is expected to finally shut the revolving door at first base on the Braves in 2011 or maybe 2012. We're happy with Troy Glaus right now, thanks, but if Troy re-signs to take over third after Chipper retires this offseason we'll see what Frederick can do. Yes, you read that last sentence right, and no I don't want to discuss it.


Grand slam dude, yeehaw. These Chrome cards are pretty pathetic. Half of them are all curled up like a Pringle, there is no etching like on other Chrome cards and they pick up fingerprints instantly. They don't scan worth a flip, either, but we all knew that.


A blue bordered card of a guy named Green. Heh. Blue borders are 1:29 packs so a low level hit I suppose. Grant Green was the 1st round pick of the A's in 2009 and is hitting over .300 in A ball so pretty good I guess. We'll find out in five years or so insert noncommittal remark here. Atlanta Sports cards has a whole bunch of blue and orange bordered Bowmans in their 25 cent box if anyone cares.


Yup, got an autograph before I pulled a Heyward. This was from a rack pack. Group A odds are 1:17 packs so autos are not that difficult to pull it seems. Justin Bristow was taken in the 5th round by the Cubs in 2008. His stats don't look all that spectacular to me. Eh what do I know. He's a Cub, some Cub fan trade me a Heyward for this thing and get it out of my house.

I can hear some of you asking if I pulled a certain pitcher. Just be patient.


Purple refractors look AWESOME except when you scan them, then they look like any other refractor. This one's Purple, I promise. Edinson Rincon is a third baseman in A ball for the Padres. I know, I know, you want to see something else. Wait for it.


Yep, I pulled TWO autographs before I got even one Heyward. How lucky am I. Not too lucky actually, these retail autos fall 1:24 packs which is ridiculously easy for retail. It is actually harder to pull a Blue Border or plain refractor than it is an auto. Also easier to pull than one lousy Heyward, dammit. JUST ONE. I've already been to all the local card shops, everyone's sold out of Heywards. I just want one stinkin' Heyward. Oh yeah, the card. Zach Simons is a relief pitcher. I know nothing else about him because his Baseball-Reference minors page keeps giving me a 500 internal server error and all the other minor league site out there have no stats or are buggy or have pop-ups or all three.

Ok, ok, quit yelling here's what you all wanted to see.


Yep, I pulled the Golden Child before my beloved Heyward. Chrome version, even. I told you the Bowman goblins were dead set on tormenting me. Before you all start demanding I put this on eBay rightnow let me inform you that it came out of the pack damaged. There are three dings on the back and a weird line of glue or something. It ain't Gem Mint is what I'm saying so I don't even want to bother. I'll put it in a toploader and stash it with my other phenom rookies, like Tom Brady, Lebron James and Brien Taylor.

All that and no J-Hey. I am disappoint. I've already ripped the blaster, it was legit, but no Heyward. I'm trying to show restraint and save my pennies for Ginter but the sickness is upon me. Must... not... buy... more... Bowman...

Oh who the hell am I kidding...



I'M COMING FOR YA HEYWARD! I'LL FIND YOU SOON!

14 comments:

TheRealDFG said...

I am now up to 25 rack packs, 2 retail boxes, 2 blasters, and a handful of packs and I too have yet to pull a Heyward. I have 2 Chrome and 3 base Strasburg but no Heyward. I think his cards must be short printed.

Sooz said...

i laughed at the very beginning. I knew the part where you said some of us have gone off the deep end, i just knew it was a link to our blog.

lol.

Welcome to the club.

MarieBay said...

Despite needing to attend meetings for obsessive compulsive money wasting on Bowman, I still have no Strasburg. Someone sent me one out of pity, but I didn't pull one.

I do have a Heyward base card. But one out of an embarrassing number of packs, blasters, etc.

night owl said...

Distributors won't even let me become addicted. The paltry amount of Bowman parceled out to the big box stores here -- a couple rack packs here, a single box of packs there -- vanishes in hours. I can't find it anywhere now.

gritz76 said...

One Cubbie auto for a Heyward base? Done and Done! It'll be on it's way tomorrow unless you for some reason change your mind or had a late night binge.

madding said...

I have yet to see any Bowman or Topps Series 2 here.

deal said...

as far as the blogpage is concerned, I definitely prefer the black to the green.

dayf said...

I can always count on Gritz to get Cubs out of my house.

Rob- AKA "VOTC" said...

If Gritz falls thru, I'll take you up on that deal. LMK

Joe from the D said...

Ive got 7 Heyward base cards sitting here colelcting dust. Shoot me your address and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

I hate seing a collector suffer...

Joe from the D said...

BTW, Ive opened 5 blasters and 6 loose packs (46 packs). 7 Heywards, 4 Strasburgs, 9 Ackley's.

Peterson said...

Overall, quite well from Retail or a mix...I have a heyward Base, and would love to trade for that tigers auto...get to me.

sruchris said...

I pulled a Heyward gold if you want it. I'm sure you can find something I need in return.

Lonestarr said...

I has no Bowman Heyward, though it looks like you won't be needing it at this point anyway, but I think I still have my shiny tristar parallel of him if you want it.