I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Kid Who Could

Something a little different today...


This is one of the weirder things in the collection. I picked this up at a favorite bookshop of mine, Rowan's, shortly before they went out of business in 2008. I was going to post it back then but I was too depressed about my bookstore going away and there were actually new products coming out all the time to keep the blog busy. I'm over it, and the card aisle at Wal-Mart is a vast wasteland so why not now.

This is a joint production of DC comics, Sports Illustrated and Frosted Flakes, with Ozzie Smith tagging along for good measure. I am assuming this was given away in a box of cereal, but I wasn't really into Frosted Flakes in 1992. Major League Baseball approved what ever promotion this was associated with, so it's all good.

The cover is sort of deceiving, there is no superhero Ozzie flying through the air to nab laser grounders while Tony the Tiger and some kid run out on the field behind him and get chased by a fat security dude with a taser. There is a whole lot of early '90s gaudy clothes, baseball tips from Ozzie, lessons learned and really really bad hair. I'm thinking about showing off the whole comic a page at a time over the next month with appropriate commentary for each page. If you think this is a Very Bad Idea now's the time to tell me. Otherwise you'll get an eyeful of Ozzie this June.

8 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

Do it!

TheBrooklynMet said...

Yes, that would be fun.

TJ said...

I have the need. The need to read. That comic. One page at a time.

Ryan H said...

I totally remember this comic book. I still have it at my Dad's house. I remember you had to send away for it with some UPCs or something like that. I also have the Nolan Ryan comic book of the same variety.

madding said...

I need to see this.

Orioles Magic said...

The Orioles gave away a Cal Ripken Jr. HOF induction comic in 2007. The illustrations look somewhat similar.

Bay Rat North West said...

Please do a recap of Barkley vs. Godzilla. That comic is CLASSIC.

Goose Joak said...

I remember this too. Awesome.