I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

1991 Impel U.S. Olympic Cards Hall of Fame Edition

I've got some last minute projects I need to finish, but I wanted to get this post out tonight. Here's another baker's dozen for this 90 card set from Impel. There's a little more info and a pack break here if you're so inclined.

25 Edwin Moses

How is it even possible to win 122 straight races? If we hadn't boycotted the Moscow Games, he'd probably have 3 gold medals.

36 Eric Heiden

Five gold medals at Lake Placid. Only the Miracle on Ice was more amazing at those games.

18 John Naber

Four Golds for swimming at Montreal, and the only reason I posted this is for the photo. Heh.

4 Al Oerter

Won the discus in four straight Olympics from 1956 to 1968, and broke his own Olympic record each time.

29 Sugar Ray Leonard

Got-DAMN I love this card. That is just a cool card right there, even with that dude staring up at the bottom left corner. All these Olympic sets are going to cause me to go on a boxing card bender if I'm not careful.

41 John Davis

One of the strongest guys ever. Olympic weightlifting is hard as hell too, you have to be stronger mentally than physically.

WARNING - THE NEXT CARD IS NASTY - YOU MAY WANT TO SCROLL THROUGH REALLY FAST













Nope? Ok, I warned you then.

40 Charles Daniels

Ugh. One of the most unfortunate photo choices for a trading card. He and his package won a truckload of medals though.














OK IT'S SAFE NOW

27 Mary Lou Retton

Was there a more famous Olympian in the '80s? I should have scanned the back because the '80s hair is FABULOUS.

28 Alvin Kraenzlein

This is the oldest Olympian I had from the set. Alvin won four Golds for jumping and hurdles in the 1900 Games in Paris.

60 1964 US Olympic Basketball team

A nice photo of Bill Bradley and Lucious Jackson (no, not that one) on the card. The back has a list of the 7 players from the team who played in the NBA - Jim Barnes, Bradley, Joe Caldwell, Melvin Counts, Walt Hazzard, Jackson and George Wilson. Hazzard and Caldwell were stars for the Hawks.

8 Johnny Weissmuller

Five Gold medals for swimming but he's better known as Tarzan, King of the Apes.


17 Eddie Eagan

Eddie won a Gold medal for boxing in 1920, then won another in 1932 for bobsledding.

76 Leroy Walker

Leroy was the president of the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games and became the first black president of the United States Olympic Committee. Plus he just looks happy on this card. I like the happy.

4 comments:

Billy Suter said...

I just realized I had a few of these with my Indian cards and my Little Debie card. Here's who I have:

Billy Mills
John B. Kelly, Sr.
Wilma Rudolph
Al Oerter
Bob Richards
Donna de Varona

I had a bunch more back in the day, but they're long gone now.

Billy Suter said...

Oh, and Mary Lou Retton is from Fairmont, which is about an hour away from here. She has a road named after her.

Sonny said...

I have this sugar ray, how much is it worth? Elmwoodero@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I have the complete set of these cards. They were given to me when I was 11 already in protective sleeves (pages. They have never been out of these sleeves (27 years later). What are they worth? nikisnaps@live.com