I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Trading Mania - ManOfSteal

This is a trade I made with the Man of Steal. This started off as a gift and sort of morphed into a trade somehow. It started when I busted a pack of 1983 Donruss Action All Stars over on A Pack A Day. Rickey Henderson was showing on the top of the pack and a comment was left lamenting that a pack with Rickey on top was opened. I found a second pack with Mr Henderson, dug up a 1986 Action All stars pack and some oddball Rickeys (I know, that's redundant) and offered to send them to him for the collection. The offer was accepted and a short time later a package came in the mail full of some great weird Braves stuff. And I mean weird, check it out:

A Score wrapper and the side panel off a box of 1993 Topps. Now that's oddball! Here are in my opinion the top ten interesting cards from the Man of Steal's gift.

#10 1987 Donruss Opening Day Gary Roenicke

This is a horribly sad card. From the back: "A power hitter, the Braves hope will take up some of the long ball slack they lost when Bob Horner went to Japan."

Bob Horner, 1986 - 27 HR, 87 RBI, .273 BA
Gary Roenicke, 1987 - 9 HR, 28 RBI, .219 SB

Stupid collusion.

#9 1995 Fleer Rookie Exchange set Brad Clontz

This is a odd design, even for the mid '90s. A textured background combined with transparent military stenciling and the name and team stamped in foil. You think they would have worked a little harder on designing their exchange set. I pulled an exchange card in '95 so I have my full set of these. The big rookie? Edgardo Alfonzo.

#8 1989 Panini Paul Assenmacher

There were a couple of these in the package, and believe it or not, they were my very first 1989 Panini stickers. I have two albums half full of '88 stickers, but no '89s. I guess I was spending my money on beer by 1989 instead of stickers. Now that I have some stickers though, I really need to find an album.

#7 1992 Cracker Jack Steve Avery

I posted the back instead of the front because the front looks exactly like a tiny version of the '92 Donruss card. Once again, I have a lot of the '91 Cracker jack set from Topps, but none of the Donruss cards. I's like he collected everything one year after I did.

#6 1987 Key Food Dale Murphy

A little synchronicity going on here as I sent him the Rickey card from this set except the label is "Weis Winners instead of Key Food.

#5 2001 Topps Reprint Warren Spahn

I collected this entire set in '91 (It took me months to track down the Aaron card) and this card stands out. For some unknown reason, Topps miscut the card so that it has the colored background bleeding off the top like their 1954 cards did. Someone wasn't paying attention in Duryea that day.

#4 1986 Slurpee Triple Stars, Dale Murphy, Jim Rice & Mike Schmidt

I never had any Slurpee discs when I was a kid and this one with a Hall of Famer, a will-be Hall of Famer, and a should-be Hall of Famer is way cool. The scan morphed everyone's features together making the player look like Groucho Marx on the scan.

#3 1985 Topps Traded Ted Simmons

A sincere wish that some of these cards would be ones I didn't have was granted with this card. Ted was one of the few Braves Topps cards from the '80s That I needed.

#2 1993 Heroes Hank Aaron T202

These triple fold cards in the style of T202s are just cool. One of these day's I'll break down and buy a box. Now, the most interesting card from the package...

#1 1992 Ted Williams Atlanta Crackers POG.


Before the Braves came to town, Atlanta's long time minor league team was the Atlanta Crackers. So obviously, what is the Negro League team called? The Atlanta Black Crackers, of course. You could never make something like that up. This POG was reoved froma 1 per pack POG insert in '92 Ted Williams. Anybody remember POGs? I have a bunch of NHL licensed Hockey POGS lying around somewhere, but that's somethign for another post.

Thanks for the neat stuff Man of Steal! I'll give them all a good home.

1 comment:

ManOfSteal said...

Glad you enjoyed the Braves items, and got some things that you actually needed. I tried to pull out some of the more "interesting" stuff, as you could tell. Thanks again for the Rickey cards!