I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Olympic Contest

Update - Bumped again... Opening ceremony is tomorrow night, folks. Get your guesses in!

Maybe a preview of what's to come will whet your appetite...

Update - Bumped to the top. Keep the guesses coming...

The 2008 Summer Olympics are days away and Uncle Dayf has some neat stuff planned. In addition to the cardboard celebration of the Olympics (or the Once Every Four Years Marketing Debacle if there's a lawyer out there with nothing better to do) I've got a contest for you all.

Rules are simple: Pick a country, any country. Tell me how many total medals they will win. If you pick closest, you win.

One caveat, however: If your country wins no medals, you don't win either. So no picking the Principality of East Bumblestan to win zero medals. You won't win anything. Also, to the bold, come the spoils. If you pick Equatorial Guinea to win one medal and they get a bronze in the sack race, you'll win, but not much. If you nail the number of medals one of the big boys like US, Russia or China wins, there shall be relics or autographs or both. So choose wisely.

The prize: a pile of the Olympic cards that will be featured during the games.

Remember: pick a country, then the total number of medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze added together), post it in the comments and watch the games to see who wins. Deadline for entries is the start of the Opening Ceremonies on 8/8/08.

For tiebreakers (or if secondary prizes if there is a clear winner) here are three questions:

1) Who will win the men's 100 meter dash, and will he be busted for steroids before the games are over?

2) How many home runs will Team USA softball player, Crystl Bustos hit in the games?

3) What was the only event I got to see in person in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and what country won?

Good luck...

NOTE - You can choose the same country as someone else, just don't pick the same number of medals. The 4 people who have chosen already may change their country if they wish since I wasn't clear on that.

19 comments:

Samuel Tan said...

u.s. 6 medals

Alec said...

lithuania 1 medal

Anonymous said...

Canada: 10 medals (I am a realist).

Tie breakers: Asafa Powell, he'll be clean for another year or so.

10 home runs for Bustos (man, I hope she's not a light hitting second baseman)

Ummm, race walking? And Sweden. ;)

Captain Canuck said...

damn. someone beat me to Canada...

Australia - 50

Powell

8 dingers (and no, she ain't no lightweight)

cycling, spain

dayf said...

Note - you can pick the same country as someone else, just don't pick the same number of medals.

William Noetling said...

I love the Olympics, and I love Olympic trading cards - in fact I think I might go looking for some on eBay right now.

So here's my big choices.

United States = 89

Ties
A) Tyson Gay and the dude is as clean as they get

B) 3 Dingers

C) Women's Soccer, USA

--David said...

USA - 32 medals

mmosley said...

Jamaica - 6 medals

Powell wins 100

Bustos hits 5 hr

you watched field hockey - US won!!!

Dinged Corners said...

China 149 medals

Bustos 10 homeruns

Unknown said...

United States - 110 Medals

100 Meter Dash - Usain Bolt

HR's - 4

#3...I dunno... Men's Judo 60 kg division with Japan winning.

deal said...

I'll take Thailand and 9 Medals.

Tie Breakers
100 M Dash - Prince Fielder

Boxing - Prince Fielder

HRs - 9

Rowing - Germany - everytime I turned on the TV during that olympics they had rowing on.

MMayes said...

USA (never pick anyone else) 102

1. Usain Bolt No

2. Bustos hits 3 homers (air is too dense for ball to get through)

3. Mens team handball won by Croatia.

Nathan said...

Australia - 37 medals
a) Asafa Powell
b) Three dingers
c) I hope that it was better than the events I got to see at the Sydney 2000 games, which were highlighted by the European handball between Korea and Turkey!! I will go with Soccer and say Brazil (I dont even know if they were there)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be a little more optimistic for Team Canada and predict 12 medals.

Other answers:
1. Tyson Gay

2. 2 home runs. From what I've seen, softball at that level is all about pitching.

3. Baseball -- Cuba?

Motherscratcher said...

Great Britain - 29 medals

Tie Breakers:
1. Usain Bolt - how can you bet against a dude named Bolt? - clean

2. 4 HR

3. Womens beach volleyball - Brazil

I think I nailed it - you suckers are playing for 2nd.

I love the olympics. What an awesome contest. Thanks dayf.

Anonymous said...

Russia with 47 medals.

ManOfSteal said...

China was 55 medals

Tiebraker: Bolt, 6 homers, Basseball and Cuba

ManOfSteal said...

Sorry, let me try that again:

China with 55 medals

Tiebreaker: Bolt, 6 homers, Baseball and Cuba

(Don't try typing with a squirmy 3-week old, and then forget to check your spelling)

madding said...

Italy, 31 medals

1 - Bolt
2 - 3 HRs
3 - Softball - USA