I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to Basics

I'm starting to not like Topps very much. It hasn't yet reached a level of burning seething hate, it's more of a melancholy disappointment right now. Just check all the other blogs over in the side bar and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not linking to the specific articles because I don't think I should be promoting their new products with all the crap they've been pulling this year. Even Allen & Ginter which has been my number one obsession with cards recently has been tarnished as their code contest turned out to be a "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine Buy Team Orange Cards" crummy advertisement. Just as I feared, unfortunately.

This is really bad. I can't hate Topps, Most of my serious collection is Topps. I don't want to turn into one of those collectors who gets fed up with the whole rat race in the hobby and sells off his entire collection on eBay to buy a sports car so he can have a proper midlife crisis complete with booze and hookers and embezzling from the firm to finance a self-destructive bender in Vegas. No one wants to read a blog about that! Actually, come to think of it, everybody would want to read a blog about that. But I don't want to write it.

I need to shake this. I need to break out of this ennui before something bad happens. What can I do? I know! Time to go back to what brought me into this hobby in the first place...


Aaaaaahhhh... That's much better than a card missing a sticker. Sweet, sweet vintage... you have come through for me again. I love Topps. Just not most of the bullcrap they are foisting upon us right now.

Ok, so one of 'em is a Fleer card. I'm still a little mad at Topps.

3 comments:

shoeboxlegends said...

You've hit the nail on the head with this one. I've been so disillusioned by most of the recent releases that most of what I've purchased in the past 6 months has been Topps cards that were released prior to 1980.

If you're like me, there are a lot of cards from the 50s, 60s and 70s that you could use for your collection.

The other night I stopped at my new favorite hobby shop on the way home from work and left with about 200 commons from 1976, 77 and 78 for $16, about the same price I'd pay for 3 or 4 modern packs.

Awesome cards, especially the 62 Topps Win Leaders and the 76 Ryan, two of my favorites!

Gellman said...

booze and hookers are always better than cards.

Anything else is crazy talk.

Anonymous said...

Hard to argue with booze and hookers. Geez, we sound like some of the players we collect!!!