I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, August 1, 2008

Trading with Todd

One of the things I need to catch up on are the posts on trades I've made. I was going pretty good for about a month. Then I got busy so I saved a couple of posts for later. Of course more trades came in, and before too long I had a pile of trades and no time to post about 'em. So of course, like any good procrastinator I just sort of forgot about them completely and moved on. Well, no more! From now on, they're posted as they come in. Here's one I made recently with reader Todd.

The core of the trade was a simple one - He pulled a John Smoltz jersey from Allen & Ginter and wanted my Battle of Thermopylae code card. Sounded good to me so I accepted. Of course trades just can't be this simple so a pile of Braves came my way and a pile of Royals are on their way to him. Here's some of what I sent:

Hopefully there's a few in there Todd likes... Here's the haul I got in return.

2007 UD Masterpieces Chipper Jones

I seem to get one of these every trade, but I'm not complaining. I might try to wallpaper a room with 'em one day like Thorzul's legendary Ed Lynch room.

A couple of UD Elements Braves cards

I think I only need the clear Chipper Jones card now. This could have been a neat set had Upper Deck not screwed it up so badly.

2008 A&G Yunel Escobar base and mini

Ah, I love Yesco. If it weren't for him playing so well, we wouldn't have Jair Jurrjens right now. Can you believe that he's now the undisputed ace of the staff thanks to everyone else's arm falling off? I really hope Bobby doesn't overwork him. I'm kind of hoping for him to get a groin pull or something so he can go on the DL for a while to keep his arm from getting wrecked from too many innings. This is my first Brave A&G mini too.

2008 A&G Matt Diaz SP

I've got the Glavine SP too so only one more Braves short print and the team set is smooth sailing from there.

2005 Topps Gallery Hank Aaron Gallo's Gallery.

This is a neat insert card featuring a sketch from cartoonist Bill Gallo. I'm kicking myself for passing up the Chipper jones sketch a couple weeks ago when I had a chance to pick it up. I'm surprised Topps hasn't started to insert sketches like this actually drawn on the card itself in any of their sports card products yet. The concept is huge in their non sports sets.

2005 Playoff Absolute Chipper Jones Tools of the Trade

Any Chipper insert is welcome in this house, this one is numbered to 100 which is a bonus.

2008 Topps Heritage Andruw Jones Bat relic

This is one of the last cards I needed for my '08 Heritage team set. Relic cards have become so common that I consider them part of the team set now.

2008 Legendary Cuts Tom Glavine Jersey

I didn't expect this in the package, but it's pretty cool. I like how Tom is in the braves uniform, but that's a Mets' stripe on the jersey swatch. I have cards where the unis are vice versa so the circle is now complete.

2008 A&G John Smoltz jersey

Here's the card that started this mess. I'm going to try to get all 7 Braves relics to go along with the set. Now I have two in hand and Chipper on the way. It's funny, I was mocking Topps' choice to put a Mike Hampton jersey card in A&G, and now he's the only one of the Braves' pitchers with a relic card who isn't hurt right now.

Todd Just e-mailed me saying he had a Frenchy auto for me too, I'm looking forward to that one.

Now it's time to start packing up cards for the other trades I have in the mix. If you'll ecxuse me, I have Orioles and Indians cards to find.

2 comments:

Ryan Cracknell said...

Regarding sketch cards: Topps did it in baseball once - 2005 Gallery I think (there were actual sketches). There's another set coming with them, Stadium Club baseball if I'm not mistaken. We'll see if there as accepted in sports as they are non-sports where the most popular ones not from Star Wars are based on comics and cartoons. TK Legacy has done sketch cards for some of their college sports sets too.

Ryan Cracknell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.