I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sticky Saturday - Toon Variations

Once again I will not get the Sticky Saturday post up on the blog before the calendar actually changes to Sunday. It will appear to have been posted on Saturday though, because Blogger dates a post by when it was first opened, not when it was actually published. Deceptive victory is mine!

Here's a sticker from the 1985 Fleer set. I really like these stickers, probably because I didn't get a whole lot of Fleer cards in '85. I didn't get a whole lot of any cards in '85 to be honest. I was more interested in the coin collection my mom gave me to try to derail my obsession with cards. It didn't quite work, but it slowed me down a lot in '84 and '85. Then the '86 Topps cards with the black stripe on top showed up at McCrory's. Then I went to a card show and picked up some cards from the '60s and a box of 1986 Topps Football. It was pretty much over for me then. I still missed out on the 'scarce' Donruss and Fleer sets From '84 to '86 though. Thank God everyone let the presses run like mad in '87 so my insatiable need for cards could be quenched.

Pathological obsessions aside, the '85 set had neat stickers. After a a few years of caps, they busted out the pennants. The only problem with them is that they sometimes didn't stick all that well and if that point at the end started to come up, it was all over for that sticker. It would be ripped off the notebook within hours. The circles didn't have that problem. Circles are stickers' perfect shape. Once they are stuck on something, they stay stuck. Try to rip a circle shaped sticker off something without crunching up one side and tearing it to bits. It can't be done.

These stickers had cartoons on the back from RG Laughlin. RG is all over Fleer sets and his Famous Feats set was revised for the sitckers. This one commemorates Deacon Phillippe's 5 complete games in the 1903 World Series.

Fleer was nice enough to add card numbers to make the 22 card set easier to build. With 22 cards in the set it's obvious that some card backs would be on more than one team's sticker. That's not all though, While I had one of these in my collection already, FleerFan sent me another in a package of Braves stickers. Check out this back:

Good ol' Georgia Peach on a Braves sticker. How appropriate. So there's variations for the card backs in these cards. For all I know there couple be every card possible on any given team's card back, but of the three I have two have Deacon and one has Ty. I really like this drawing of Ty, especially the radiation coming out of his head. I figure it means one of three things:

1) Surely Ty is the Son of God.
2) Cobb's head is about to explode.
3) You better run, because Ty is pissed and he has a bat locked and loaded.

I know he was a mean, racist SOB who would beat up cripples, but I just can't help liking Ty Cobb. It goes to show I'll forgive a lot of crap if you can hit like Ty.

UPDATE: Take all the times I typed 1985 and change them to 1986. I need to stop blogging when I'm sleepy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need three of the Famous Feats for a complete set. I'm not sure if they were the same in 1985 and 1986, but all the ones I have came from a 1986 Fleer Star Stickers waxbox. I need #'s 1, 5, and 6...and have doubles of most of the others.

dayf said...

You're right, these are from 1986. Those mid '80s Fleer products get all blurred together in my mind since I never bought any when they came out.

Fleerfan said...

JT,

Send me your address and I'll get the 3 cards you need in the mail to you.

Thanks,
Fleerfan

Anonymous said...

Thanks Fleerfan! You've got mail!