I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Trade With Andrew

I got two trade packages in the mail this week. One was an unsolicited but welcome package from Patricia and Lucy at Dinged Corners. It is absolutely huge and I'm still trying to figure out how to write up a post on it. The other was a trade from a reader who noticed my Yadier Molina Auto and asked if it was available. As much as I liked my Mo-Yo signature, I have neutral to cool feelings towards the Cards (yes, I'm still mad about 1982) so I figured why not let a fan have it. Andrew didn't have a Brave auto in return, but had one auto I was interested and I told him to send me his choice of a second one. I love surprises. Normally I wouldn't extort two autographs for one but Yadier is one of the rare autographed cards in my collection that is actually listed in Beckett. I sent Anthony the Yadier and a couple dozen Cardinals cards, Here's what I got:

2008 Bowman Chris Seddon Orange Auto #166/250

Chris is stuck in Albuquerque right now, but a lefty starter will always have an outside chance to pitch in the bigs. Nice sig, I like the Bowman orange borders for some strange reason and we share a birthday.

2005 Cracker Jack Richie Robnett

This card is the reason I pulled the trigger on this trade. I really liked the Cracker Jack sets when they came out. While I ripped tons of this stuff (enough to amass a few dozen of the relic cards) I never pulled a single autograph out of a pack. Richie hasn't made the A's major league roster yet, but the card looks nice and fills a hole in my collection. His full name is Richard Pryer Robnett, which I thought was cool.

I also received a little pile of Braves, here's a few of them:

2002 Topps Total Chipper Jones

The crappy scan does not do justice to the wonderful ugliness of this card. Damn, I miss Topps Total. I wonder if I can find a box to rip online.

2008 Co-Signers Tim Hudson & Chuck James #48/150

I like these thick foil Co-Signers parallel cards, but it's a shame what's happened to these two pitchers. Tommy John for Huddy just sucks for the Braves. And for some reason Chuck is so far inside Bobby's doghouse he has to wear a flea collar.

2003 Stadium Club Andy Marte gold parallel

So much for him replacing Chipper Jones. With his offense, he couldn't even replace Rafael Belliard. To think, we flipped him for 2 years of an all star shortstop, then flipped him for a possible future staff ace. Looking at this card really gets me excited for 2008 Stadium Club even if Topps screwed it up with the rookie nonsense.

1999 UD Choice StarQuest Greg Maddux

You didn't think Upper Deck came up with these just this year, did you? They even had different color foil for different rarities. This is a prime example of an ugly-ass late '90s insert.

The rest include:
2008 First Edition Tim Hudson
2003 40-man Andruw jones
1997 The big Show Greg Maddux (with Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick!)
2002 Fleer Premium Rafael Furcal
2002 Fleer Maximum Tom Glavine
2003 Openeing Day Gary Sheffield

Nice group of Braves and a couple nifty autographs of prospects desperately clinging to their dreams of greatness. Kudos for Andrew for putting up with my extreme slowness on this trade, an experience many of you out there are familiar with.

2 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

both of those are nice signatures. why that matters, i don't know exactly, but it does, and they are good.

MMayes said...

Don't be angry about 1982 (or 2000). Remember, you'll always have 1996.

(If it makes you feel any better, I thought the "rainout" was kind of bogus even though I'm a Cardinal fan.)