I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, August 4, 2008

Skip Caray

The one man who had the skill to make the last couple of months of a losing year entertaining and funny is gone. Skip Caray passed away in his sleep today at age 68. Braves fans are pretty miserable right now, as am I. I always hoped Skip would be able to accept a Ford Frick award in person one day. He never sucked up to the suits enough to get on the national stage though. Of course that's why he was so good. He told it like it was, and was grouchy and caustic and sarcastic and funny as hell the whole time doing it. He had only been doing home radio broadcasts this year and you could tell he was having health problems. I'm going to miss his humor, his knowledge, his grouchyness and that awesome voice.

"That foul ball was caught by a fan from Tucker, Georgia..."

4 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

This is horrible. He is THE reason that a 14 year old kid from northern British Columbia became the biggest Braves fan for the last 24 years....

I feel like I knew him... he made it feel like I was there.

I will miss him.

Brian

Andy said...

I point this out just because it's an obit...It's Caray, not Carey.
I doubt that there is a baseball fan over the age of about 12 who didn't ever hear Caray call a game.

dayf said...

Sorry, too upset to proofread at 1am...

Unknown said...

Being a kid actually from Tucker GA, I grew up with Skip Caray every evening on TBS. He was pretty much a staple of my childhood as all I really cared about was Braves baseball.

He was one of the best and I am saddened with his passing. I just know that there is a helluva baseball game going on in heaven I guarantee he is the man calling the action.