I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, August 21, 2008

1996 Centennial Olympics Dufex inserts

The Atlanta Olympic Committee licensed a very artistic Olympic set to sell during the '96 games. I ripped a pack here if you want to check it out. These weren't very popular as it was not a traditional sports set filled with athletes and it had to go up against a star filled Upper Deck Olympic set. There's one cool thing about the set though and that is the dufex inserts that could be found.

There were dufex cards of the official Olympic posters of 20 summer and winter games inserted at one in nine packs. I didn't pull one of them, but you can see a sample of them in this eBay auction. They look really nice and I have to admit the action is tempting me badly.

There were also dufex cards of 12 of the torches used in the games. These were somewhat difficult to find at one in every 25 packs, but I managed to get lucky and find this in one of the packs I snapped up out of the clearance bin. Here's the dufex torch card I previewed over here. It's a really neat looking card, although they reversed the negative on this one. It's tough to see in the scan but the writing on the rim of the torch is reversed.


The best insert in my opinion was the once per pack logo "Fun Caps". The POG fad was more or less over by '96 but they put them in this set anyway. I good choice as far as I'm concerned, the metallic dufex gives them a great 3-D look that makes them look like little gold medals. I only have 5 of the 20 POGs, but I'd love to collect the set. Here are the five I have:

This one is from the 1936 Winter games in. Garmisch, Germany. The dufex didn't capture much detail from the logo, but it looks neat.


This one from the 1936 Games in Berlin is the best looking of the bunch. The colums and multiple athletes pop out nicely in the dufex technology. There's a neat zooming effect on the athlete when you move the POG.

This coat of arms logo from Melbourne 1956 is really busy but looks great. I like the kangaroo poking out of the middle ring on top.

I think this POG showing the 1964 Innsbruck emblem would have been more effective had they left off the writing around the edge.


This is a strange one, since they didn't use the official 1976 Montreal logo, but instead used the Olympic Stadium and Montreal Tower. This is odd as the Tower was not completed until 1987 and was not seen at the games at all.

One of these days I'm going to find a box of this stuff and get a whole mess of POGs. There were cards in this set too, I'll show off some of them tomorrow. A warning though - there are some strange cards in this set.

No comments: