I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Trade with Thorzul #2

This is one of many trades with Thorzul. He loves trading so send him some cards. I'm winning the contest though so don't get cocky. This trade started off when Thorzul pulled a John Smoltz relic out of 2008 Heritage. I had the card already, and I also had some Brewers cards including a 2007 Topps Updates and Highlights boxtopper refractor of Yovanni Gallardo so we traded anyway. Many Heritage cards were swapped as well to help out on our sets. Here's what I got:

Six 2007 Heritage cards

I'm getting closer and closer to the non-SP base set. I've got this set in sheets too so it's very satisfying knocking out empty spaces here and there.

Four 2007 Topps Heritage inserts

Here's a New Age Performer from the guy who pitched a no hitter for the Fish and immediately wrecked his arm.

Flashback cards are the best. Here's Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn. I also got Warren Spahn from Thorzul. You'll see Braves soon enough, trust me...

Frank Robinson as a Cincinatti Red, Ryan Howard as a red tomato. The perfect card.

One 2008 Heritage insert

Here's a Bob Gibson Highlight from his rookie season. One of these days I either need to buy that third box of Heritage or post my wantlist.

Four 2007 Goudey redbacks

This knocks the number of base cards I need to three. Short prints are another matter... Now onto the random weirdness.

One inexplicable 1990 SportFlix Willie Randolph

I'm not sure what happened here. In addition to the Heritage and Goudey, Thorzul incuded a bunch of Braves players. Well, Braves and a random Willie. It's kind of disturbing to be shuffling through your cards and have a Willie pop out at you. A MOVING Willie at that! The only reason I can see for this to be included is that Randolph had been fired from the Mets so I could finally start liking him again. I cannot in good faith comment on this card without pointing out the lady in the background. Her arms move during the swing so it sort of looks like she's clapping like a seal.

2005 Fleer Tradition Greg Maddux Diamond Tributes

I like this insert set. The background looks like a Van Gogh painting, Maddux looks like a radioactive giant destroying the landscape below, and this is one of the very, very few instances where red foil actually works on a card. It's too bad that '05 Tradition was such a bizarre set. There were also 5 other random Braves included such as a Red Turkey Red card of Tom Glavine, but let's just move on.

STICKERS!!!

Five stickers total including this Hall of Fame relievers sticker from '86 Topps,

and four more from 1987 like this Bob Horner sticker. Now for the big hits...

2004 Chipper Jones Cracker Jack jersey

Since I had the Smoltz card, Thorzul surprised me with this. Surprise! I have three of this card now. It'll go to a good home though.

1990 Dale Murphy Starting Lineup Coin

Now this is cool. Starting Lineups were out of my price range in the 80's and when the market collapsed for them, I slacked on goign back and buying up all the braves for cheap. I don't have the Murphy figure, but I have the coin now at least.

This isn't the last you'll see of Trading with Thorzul... He's probably running low on Braves though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guessed right about the Randolph. I get a distinct anti-Mets vibe from reading your blog, and I thought it might be a good thumb to the eye of the baseball gods.

Anonymous said...

Those Diamond Tributes are snazzy. And you are right about the red foil.

sruchris said...

I might be able to help you complete your 2008 Heritage set. Take a look at my site: http://sruchris.net.