I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Lost Box of Total Awesomeness - A Little Randomness

I have decided to wrap this box up by this weekend. It's a good way to lead in to the Olympics. A lead in of AWESOME. We're right at the climax now, big things are about to happen. Just a few last things to tie up plot wise before The Big Finale. We've seen the Topps, Fleer and Donruss cards, time for Score and Upper Deck.

Seven 1990 Score cards

It's kind of weird to think now that this set was too expensive for me back in 1990. I couldn't find a pack of it for less than $1.25, and that's if I could find it. Now I can pick it up for a song. Hmm. Maybe I should snag a box one of these days. I've never actually pulled a Thomas rookie out of a pack, that would be kind of fun. Here's all seven cards for your approval:

2 Cal Ripken, Jr.

Nice looking card of Cal. The back mentions that he just passed Steve Garvey for the third longest consecutive games played streak in history. He had played in 1315 games in his career at that point.

300 Will Clark

Quote from Terry Kennedy about Will the Thrill's swing: "He's even stylish when he punches out. He truly has a classic swing."

410 Dave Stewart

I didn't realize Dave was born in Oakland. You can see three straight years with 20 wins for Dave on the back.

586 Deion Sanders rookie

Not nearly as good as Prime Time's 1989 Score rookie, but I'll take it.

609 Mike Stanton rookie

Only 74 games behind Orosco on the all time games pitched list, but no one has picked up the lefty so far this year.

631 Larry Walker rookie

Has he really been retired for three years? It's nice to see Larry in a 'Spos uniform.

675 Maurice Vaughn 1st Round Pick

How does one effectively convey a wolf whistle on the internet? I'm dying to whip out the Steve Miller reference on this card.

Three Upper Deck cards

Just three UD cards in the box for some reason. They're all good though.

1990 #63 Kent Mercker Star Rookie

Kent's still in the league! He's on the 60-day DL, but that counts. This is his real live rookie card too.

1993 #1 Star Rookie checklist

Now that's the way to open up a set! The 1993 Upper Deck set is incredible. Check out the checklist on the back:

Two probable Hall of Famers in Piazza and Chipper, plus quite a few legit MLB players like Salmon, Snow and Javy. And this doesn't even include Derek Jeter, who was put in Series Two's Star Rookies. Ok, so there's Rene Arocha and Nigel Wilson cluttering things up, but no set has ever bat 1.000 on their rookie subset.

1994 #12 Cliff Floyd Star Rookie

Cliff's having quite a comeback down in Tampa this year. I wouldn't mind seeing the Rays win the division just to stick it up the Sox and Yankees' butt for once.

10 cards, 10 wins. That is just the appetizer for the Awesome that awaits... Up next: OLD STUFF.

1 comment:

madding said...

I'm pretty sure I never paid more than $1 for 1990 Score... seems like it was usually even less than that. I remember most of the hype was because of that silly Bo Jackson card.

1993 Upper Deck is one of my all-time favorite sets. I bought a box on eBay once quite a few years ago, making it one of the only non-Cardinals-related purchase I made between 1994 and 2005. I don't know what happened to Arocha. I think he must have been 5-10 years older than his official age or something.