I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Two mules fighting over a turnip

This quote from Lewis Grizzard pretty much describes my feelings towards the new Topps/UD brouhaha. If you haven't heard about it, just check the links on the sidebar. There's bound to be a few posts about it over there for the next couple of days. It's just more corporate horsecrap that will end up funnelling what litle cash they have left out of designing and manufacturing the product and into some lawyers' pockets. Upper Deck thought they could stick it to Topps by buying up O-Pee-Chee and Topps is going to try to stick it to UD by suing at a point in time where UD is vulnerable after losing Yu-Gi-Oh and basketball. While they are sticking it to each other, their customers end up stuck so Feh to both of them. I don't feel like hashing this nonsense out anymore so here's a soggy magnetic schedule I picked up from the Braves game the other day.

A mint copy of one of these things is probably rarer than a T206 Honus as most of them got flooded in the great opening day monsoon.

4 comments:

deal said...

Yep It's just business. Unfortunately the collectors are the ones that get screwed.

Just like a baseball strike. both sides are making gazillions of dollars meanwhile the people that get screwed are the fans.

I really like the 75 design - the odd thing is that I have had no urge to chase the UD Inserts.

zman40 said...

I was just looking at the promo schedule on the magnetic schedule and noticed the B-Mac bat day and it reminded me of bat day at the Ted in '06. I left the ballpark that day with a blank bat. My buddy's had the Braves name and logo burned onto it and mine was blank. I ended up throwing it away before I moved back home.

If you go to bat day this year, check your bat when you get it.

DaveH said...

The magnets are probably not so rare as they handed them out for Saturday's game as well -- attendance ~34k.

MMayes said...

Praise the Lord for companies willing to pay the lawyers!