I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chilling effect

A chilling effect is a term in law and communication which describes a situation where speech or conduct is suppressed by fear of penalization at the interests of an individual or group. It may prompt self-censorship and therefore hamper free speech.

One is completely gone. Another hasn't posted in a couple of months (Although I may have accidentally scared him off with a rant). I'd comment on the situation, but I'm afraid of being sued. Even mentioning something in passing might attract unwanted attention, I'd better look into my rights.

I'd give a hat tip to the person who made me aware of this situation, but I'm afraid I'll get him in trouble too.

1 comment:

ernest of canada said...

sounds like it's time for a little Clash, "know your rights". i'd volunteer to host a blog up here on Canadian soil for such material anonymously submitted. i'll have to double check if that kind of geography ensures any freedom from the legal clutches of these misguided corporate entities. if i'm lucky, they don't know where to find Canada on a world map.