I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mint Condition Preview


A while ago I got an e-mail from author Dave Jamieson asking if I wanted a copy of his new book, Mint Condition, to review. I said, heeeelllls yes I wanna book! I said this even though I am not a professional writer and I have no clue how to review a book properly without it sounding like a 3rd grade book report. I was determined to read the whole thing and think about it very carefully and write a masterpiece of literary criticism and now I've had the book for over two weeks and I've skimmed a few chapters but haven't taken the time to finish reading the thing yet. From what I've read so far it is very good, there's lots of neat historical stuff about cards in there. I still want to try to do a proper review of the book, but I just saw it for sale at Books-A-Million so I need to do a post on it quickly while it's still out on the shelves. Real review will come when I've finished the book, here's a sneek peek in the meantime.


There are pictures! A book about cards has to have some pictures and there is a section in the middle with a whole lot of eye candy. There are some familiar and iconic cards featured as well as a few things I've never seen before. There are also some pics of some of the prominent people in the hobby. If you ever wondered who Mastro was, you can now find out. 


There are words! A whole lot of words to be precise. The words are done well and are all in the proper order. Many of the words are in interesting combinations that you have never seen before. The words on this page are about Jefferson Burdick. If you don't know who that is, then you need this book so you can find out.



There are dust cover author bios! You can read all about the person who wrote the book and was betrayed by me when I took a free copy of the book to review and then got too busy to read it right away. I'll finish the book, I swear! There will be an actual good review instead of this mess, I promise. Part of the reason this preview is so bad is that I have ideas for how I want to write the review and I'm trying not to use them up on this post. In the meantime, if you're in a bookstore and you like old baseball cards head over to the Sports section, find this book and flip through it. It might end up following you home. 

8 comments:

Joe S. said...

Riveting preview! I MUST buy this book, as I'll lose sleep trying to imagine all the crazy combinations of words on its pages.

dayf said...

Success! Chalk up one sale to my crappy two-week late preview!

Rob- AKA "VOTC" said...

Check out the last episode of Card Corner Radio from last Friday. We had him on as our guest and he did a great interview.

http://blogtalkradio.com/cardcornerclubradio.com

Jeremy said...

Does it cover the history of cards other than baseball (hockey, for instance)?

Anonymous said...

Thank God for pictures. They make reading a whole lot easier.

Also, I am a big fan of words like "neat" and "stuff" in book reviews. Keep up the good work, sir.

dayf said...

I considered dropping a "nifty cool" into the Preview but I didn't want to seem like a shill.

madding said...

Nice. I need this.

dc said...

jeremy, no.