I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Random Current Brave #3

In honor of a ridiculous Chipper homer last night, here's a ridiculous Chipper card.


This is a 2003 SPX Winning Materials crazy-ass relic card with two odd shaped jersey portholes, holofoil everywhere, serial numbering and a rubber miniature home plate thing all inside a card that is thicker than many packs for sale nowadays. Even the disclaimer on the back is quite specific: "On the front of this card is an authentic piece of a jersey worn by Chipper Jones in an official Braves™ Major League Baseball ® game." No weasel word shenanigans there. This card is completely over the top and I love it.


Note the year of this card's release. 2003. In 2003, Upper Deck was fiercely competing with Topps, Donruss and Fleer. Note how absurdly nifty keen this card is. Now go to eBay, do a search for some 2010 Mojo and compare this card to the products of The Age of Exclusivity. Upper Deck lost their football license yesterday. Upper Deck has had a very bad year and is fighting for their existence. I don't know if Upper Deck is going to make it. If they don't I'll bet many of the power players in the hobby will make a lot of money short term on their misfortune. This I do know: If Upper Deck goes away for good, one day in the near future - maybe ten years, maybe five, maybe even one - the entire hobby is going to deeply, deeply regret it. 

2 comments:

TheBrooklynMet said...

Nice card, and I agree about Upper Deck.

flywheels said...

Love those cards. You are right in that they are so over the top crazy. I really started collecting cards in 1990 and I can remember discovering UD for the first time and how it was clearly better than Topps, Donruss and Fleer at that time. I will miss UD and their photography dearly.