I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Mini plate of Nachos

I sent Chris of Nachos Grande a bunch of stuff off of his want list and got some A&G stuff in return. I got the Randy Johnson short print for the set, and a whole mess o' minis. Here's the mini stuff:

Leonardo Da Vinci's Ornithopter. I love the Pioneers of Aviation set and and I'm only missing #3. I've always been fascinated by DaVinci so this was a card I've wanted since A&G hit the shelves. Someone actually built and flew one of these things a while back. He made it in the air for 64 seconds and on the next attempt crashed.

Here's card #5, the Aerodrome. All the online definitions of the word state that an aerodrome is actually a a small airfield, so I'm not sure where Topps got this weird flappy looking plane picture from. Hell, thay may have just made it up like Minty Beans and the rest of Team Orange.


Here's a whole slopload of crooked politicians. I know, that's redundant. Let's see who's here and if any of them have been thrown out of office or in jail yet.

Donald Tusk - He lost the Polish Presidential election to this guy in 2005, then replaced the President's twin brother as Prime Minister in 2007.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen - Prime Minister of Denmark who had to deal with the Muhammed cartoon brouhaha. There's talk he may end up the President of the EU.

Patrick Manning - Patrick is in his second stint as PM of Trinidad and Tobago. Sadly, it was revealed that he was diagnosed with cancer just yesterday.

Robert Fico - Prime Minister of Slovakia. You'd think Topps could have found a picture that didn't look like Vigo from Ghostbusters 2 with a short haircut. He's the freaking Prime Minister! There are better pictures of him out there!

Sanjaa Bayar - For some reason Topps didn't use his full name Sanjaagiin. I guess Michael Eisner is chums with the Prime Minister of Mongolia and is comfortable with using his nickname.

Jens Stoltenberg - Like Manning, Jens is also in his second stint as PM. He seems to be trading turns in the office with opposition leader Kjell Magne Bondevik, which might explain why he looks so nervous on his card.

Qaboos Bin Said Al-Said - This guy's not a Prime Minister, he's the Sultan of Oman! Finally, a monarch! No Parlamentary procedures for him, he became Sultan when HE OVERTHREW HIS OWN FATHER. Now that's hardcore! Of course his father overthrow the grandfather to become Sultan so it's a family tradition. Qaboos is no fool, he doesn't have any sons.

The last two Leaders cards are a Muhammad Ali Combo Special:

POPE A DOPE

He he! I amuse myself too easily. I'm having too much fun with these leaders cards. I don't need to try for another 50 card mini set, do I? Maybe I should finish up the flags first.

Thanks Chris! good luck on filling out the rest of those want lists!

2 comments:

Alex said...

Is you 2008 A&G wantlist up to date? I have a bunch from this set and may be able to help you out.

Anonymous said...

The A&G minis are magnificent. We need to get started on those.

Pope Benedict has what can only be described as sunken eyes.

2009 A&G clearly will have to include a mini of Slobodan Blogojevich.