I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, January 31, 2009

2009 Topps In Hand

Got eight packs at the Target on Barrett highway in Kennesaw. Give me a few minutes and I'll have the scans uploaded.

256 Reggie Abercrombie
Ok, the very first card of 2009 is pretty unambiguously awesome.

170 CC Sabathia

Send to Thorzul. Send directly to Thorzul. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

192 Collin Balester

Since this is a nobody it's a good time to show off the back. Pretty good design, if you ask me. Up on the top left corner there is a factoid or like this one, "6 Degrees of Mickey Mantle" with the answers hugging the top curve. Pretty neat use of that space!

66 Dustin Pedroia 2008 AL MVP

2008's version of Phil Rizzuto.

266 Todd Wellemayer

When it comes to Todd, I am Sgt. Schultz. I know nothing, I KNOW NOTHING... Purdy photo though!

220 Jay Bruce gold parallel #0772/2009

Rookie Cup!

TTT7 Hanley Ramirez Topps Town

Thank GOD they made these things more than a waste of cardboard. I might actually sign up for the stupid thing now.

Topps Attax code

Man, I can't wait for this stuff. Anybody want to see me do a case break? I wouldn't actually give you any of the cards, you'd just send me the money and I'd bust the case.

271 Cliff Lee 2008 AL Cy Young

2008's version of... um nobody. I don't think anyone ever quite did what he did.

315 Hiroki Kuroda

Here's one for Night Owl up in the snow.

19 Edgar Gonzalez

Chevron cars! grcl sent me a few cards with those ads in the background but I never got around to posting them. Thanks grcl!

216 Joe Maddon

played at Lafayette College, alma mater of Jeff Mutis who played with Charlie Hough who played with Al Downing who played with Mickey Mantle who was in That Touch of Mink with Yvonne Peattie who was in The Big Picture with Kevin Bacon.

247 Yuniesky Betancourt

You know, the photos look a whole lot better this year now that everyone is not ducking to avoid a bump in the ceiling. Man, I'm so glad 2008 is over and I can go back to liking Topps' base set again.

Seven more packs to go!

24 comments:

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

The Bruce card is sa-weet. I wish they'd bring back the old cup though.

Wax Heaven said...

Rough pack since you got no Miller!

dayf said...

Just you wait Mario!

Rod (Padrographs) said...

May I please have the Edgar Gonzalez. Thank you

night owl said...

So far so good! (But you didn't show the Washington National).

Nice Kuroda card.

BASEBALL DAD said...

Nice cards , even without the Tribe !! May have to go to Target tomorrow .

RWH said...

I'm jealous of the efficiency of your local Target.

Captain Canuck said...

nice photos... clean design. I don't like how you can't read their damn name though. (at least in the scan... in person may be different.)

dayf said...

In person the name looks pretty good on the black as long as the light hits it right. The little dots in the corners are foil too. As for the scan, foil on black is useless. That's going to bug me all year.

Night Owl: I showed the pack, quit bellyachin'.

BASEBALL DAD said...

I know I'm getting OLD , but when I showed this to my son, I noticed the Lee I didn't even see the first time!!

sruchris said...

I'm not sure I like like the design of 2009 Topps. The front looks look like a mix between 1996 Score, 1994 Topps and 1987 Topps football. The home plate icon is tacky. The back is ok. I would rather see the number slightly larger and the block of color in the bottom left corner gone. The best base design is recent history has been 2003 Topps fronts and 2008 UD backs.

sruchris said...

Err... I meant 1988 Topps football.

dayf said...

Jeez, I can't even remember what '96 Score looks like anymore. You're right, there is definitely a '94 Topps vibe to this set.

The number is alittle small and is hard to read on dar blue and dark red backs. The block is where Topps puts the serial number, so that ain't going anywhere. Solid effort, let's see how they go about screwing it up in the next week or two.

Anonymous said...

I get sort of a 1994 Topps baseball vibe and also a 1960 Fleer Greats baseball vibe from looking at the cards.

shoeboxlegends said...

I agree with sruchris. I'm not sure if maybe they'll grow on me, but I'm just not excited about this set for some reason.

night owl said...

No, I appreciate you showing the whole pack.

(I can bellyache a lot more than that. After all, I AM at work).

dayf said...

Oh, well bellyache away then!

(praying the pager doesn't go off)

--David said...

(drooling) - Nice Cliff Lee card ya got there.... Triber... Nice!

Matt Flaten said...

dayf, what was your suggested retail price? $1.99?

dayf said...

yeah, retail is $1.99 a pack. They didn't have any blasters. The Target also had American Heritage, they are $2.99 a pack, but the odds are higher (1:7) for Chrome.

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

These are starting to grow on me. If Topps would have put the names in white instead of foil they would have been great.

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

And I like the backs.

Bay Rat North West said...

I have a few things to say but can't type them for fear of offending the weak of heart.
It involves a Braves fan getting a Jay Bruce gold parallel I would have to buy 6 cases to find one of and the fact I pulled my semi into the Target parking lot on the way home to pick up some groceries and the manager promptly threatened to tow me. Costs me 700 if that happens, by the way.
So now new Topps and I'm hun GAR e.

Bluesky said...

The 2009 Topps looks sooooooo much better than the 2007 and 2008 cards.
The borders are a lot better and the photography has increased in quality ten fold.