I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, January 3, 2009

PLAYOFFS... and Bowman

Falcons Vs. Cardinals.

Seriously, is there a more ridiculous playoff matchup ever? The team that has won exactly one playoff game since 1947 versus the one who has never had back to back winning seasons? I honestly have no idea who wins this game, The Falcons look good but the game is in Arizona. I guess we'll find out in about 15 minutes. To get me through the game I picked up a couple of packs of Bowman with Matt Ryan on the wrapper. I'm nit a big fan of Bowman this year, but I'm not sure if a Falcon has ever been the Poster Child for a football set before. I'll open one pack now and one at halftime.



103 Jason Witten
24 Matt Schaub
12 Derek Anderson

The imploding borders are kind of strange. They sort of remind me of 1998 Topps football, just with black borders instead of gold. The backs are ok, half the card is devoted to a scouting report which cuts the stats to one year and a career line. It's a bit odd to see the top and bottom borders white and the side borders black. I'm not sure why they did that. Pretty meh player selection among the vets. I guess Matt Shaub's trade to the Texans ended up getting the Falcons Matt Ryan in a roundabout way.

217 Jermichael Finley
210 Andre Caldwell
212 Eddie Royal
128 Justin King

Three vets, four rookies. I don't know who any of these people are and I don't feel like looking any of them up. I'm not sure how many rookies are in this set, probably too many. The design is exactly the same as the veteral cards, just with the typical Bowman motif of blue for the rookies instead of the red.

173 Gold Dennis Dixon

Here's the useless one per pack super thick gold parallel. I've heard of Dennis Dixon at least. I'm pretty sure there's a Duck fan out there who wants this card, I'll put it aside for him.

BC10 Antwaun Molden
BC3 Gosder Cherilus
BC48 Steve Johnson

I got three Chrome cards for some reason. A lucky accident or is Topps putting a bonus in the pack to make up for the no name rookies? I don't know who any of these people are and the game is about to start. Chris Collinsworth was just talking abotu Anquan Boldin as I was looking at Antwaun Molden's card. A bad omen for the Falcons? Maybe Schaub will counter the indirect Cardinals mojo. The kickoff is about to happen, I'll rip the second pack at halftime.

HALFTIME: Falcons 17, Cardinals 14

Considering the Falcons were awful in the first half, the'yr doing pretty good. No way Matt Ryan is a rookie. Sammy Baugh switched bodies with him like in Heaven Can Wait or something. Let's open that second pack. Igot this one from Target and the first from Wal-Mart. For unknown reasons, the Wal-Mart wrapper is mylar and the Target wrapper is white plastic. I've noticed that most wrappers at Target are like this, but I don't know why that is.

34 Marshawn Lynch
52 Michael Turner

Yes! Michael Turner! It's a sign, I tell ya! A sign! Turner's going to go off in the second half, just you wait. Only two vets in this pack, but they're better than the ones in the first pack. Since Manning won the MVP and Turner came in second, does that mean Turner is the NFC's MVP? I'm going to count it. MVP! MVP!

264 Terrell Thomas
273 Xavier Oman
169 Chad Henne
209 Jerome Simpson
120 Antwaun Molden

Xavier Oman is a great Scrabble name. You can always count for great names in football. Chad Henne was the guy I wanted The Falcons to pick in the second round after they picked up Dorsey instead of Ryan. Did I mention that I'm a dumbass? I've pulled two or three Simpson cards in abtou 10 packs of Masterpieces. Which is a big reason why I haven't bought any more Masterpieces. I got another Molden card, hooray.

161 Gold Brett Swan

AW CRAP. Falcons coughed it up and gave up a TD. #$%^!!

BC55 Pierre Garcon
BC52 Matt Slater

Two more rookies I know nothing about. Pierre Garcon is an interesting name at least. There's a checklist card in here too. it shows the Chrome cards mostly and it really pisses me off. All the good rookies are only found as a refractor parallel, while the regular Chrome has players I've never heard of. Great, so two cards in every pack are going to be nobodies guaranteed. The odds on an autograph in a retail pack is 1:395 packs. Nice! I guess Topps hamstrung this set so suckers would have to buy Bowman Chrome in order to get Chrome versions of all the decent rookie cards. Meh. This is the last pack of this that I buy.

Ok, let's see if the Falcons can come back again in this game...

FINAL: Cardinals 30, Falcons 24

Ugh. Well that sucked. I guess they didn't do too badly considering they were completely awful during the 1st and 3rd quarters. I guess we'll see if they can finally get back to back winning seasons in 2009. I'm not holding my breath.

So...... How 'bout them Hawks?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If no Duck fan steps up, put that Dixon aside for me (he's from my hometown, so I gotta collect him!). Look forward to your Topps 205 mini list, hopefully we can help each other out as I'm within 30 cards of finishing it. -- Jimbo

stusigpi said...

I would really like that Dixon.

Sooz said...

I like the football card design for Bowman better than the baseball.

madding said...

What they did with the Chrome cards seems pretty lousy. Eddie Royal had a great rookie season, though, if it's any consolation.

Too bad about the Falcons. I was torn between my dislike of the Vick-era Falcons and my lack of enthusiasm for Kurt Warner. Hopefully the Eagles will reverse the trend of home teams winning tomorrow.

I'd love the Dixon card, of course, but it looks like I'm late to the party.

Bay Rat North West said...

You had your chance to jump on the Titans bandwagon. Even had an invite from me. At least we have two extra weeks on the season instead of Atlanta's one.