I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, November 3, 2008

2009 Upper Deck

It's been all over the interwebs by now, but hey, I got stuff to do.

The 2009 Upper Deck design has been leaked.

Hand Collated has the details.

Wax Heaven has the images.

Stale Gum has the box.

I swiped the Chipper image. 'Cause it's Chipper.

So what do I got to add to the party?

Well, I like the design. It's a good combination of full bleed borders and just enough of a design element to anchor the card. I'm generally a fan of retro issues, and I'm glad the '75 O-Pee-Chee inserts look more like the actual 1975 cards then they do Upper Deck's 2001 '70s Decade set. The other inserts look decent, but the past few years Upper Deck seems to have put a bigger focus on the base cards, which is a good thing. All in all, I'm looking forward to this set.

I also have one thing to say to Topps. I really hope that your 2009 issue is going to put more emphasis to the cards and the base set, because otherwise Upper Deck is gonna clean your clock. They already have hands down the best base set of 2008 and while one year is a fluke, two years is a trend. Please don't make the foundation of your 2009 set a bunch of fake prospect cards, flipped cards, photoshopped cards, rodent cards, prognostication cards, and other assorted detritus. If you do, this collector might be focusing all his energy on building a set of Upper Deck in 2009 and waiting for one of the dozen or two Topps factory sets to come out later in the year.

9 comments:

Billy Suter said...

This doesn't even come close to looking as good as the 08's did.

dayf said...

I'm a fan of logos, and I think the bottom conveys a large bit of important information in a small area. The placement of the foil concerns me, but right now it looks good to me. Can Topps do better? certainly. Time will tell.

Billy Suter said...

Does anyone know what the backs look like yet?

dayf said...

Nope, only images were given to Mario in his Upper Deck deal. Probably the same ones on the sell sheet. You usually have to wait till the product is live to get an image of the back.

Chris Harris said...

For the record, I did not receive any images from Upper Deck. I ripped-off the box image from D&A.

dayf said...

Yeah, you're an image thief like me, Chris ;)

The Writer's Journey has a 2009 Topps design post up, but it reminds me too much of something from Ben Henry's design contest to trust it until I get confirmation.

http://thewritersjourney.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/first-images-of-2009-topps/

Anonymous said...

dayf, you are a wise man. I'm just surprised you didn't call me out on my own blog. Trying to hide it in your comments, huh? :)

dayf said...

To quote Ronald Reagan:

Trust, but verify.

Excellent design though...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it only took about 10 minutes. I wonder how much time and effort Topps put into the real one?