I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Saving Braves - part 1

A whole lot of Braves were saved from the landfill by Captain Canuck and myself. I received my rescued cards yesterday and spent all day scanning them. Mark sent a lot of stuff! Supposedly Canuck got an even bigger package than I did, so many Braves were spared. I'm going to have to break up this post into two parts, there's so much to go over. Let's begin with the best card in the universe:

1983 Dale Murphy

Mark said he had a 1983 Fleer card that was "Mangled-you are getting this one whether you want it or not" in an e-mail a while back. Well, this was the only 1983 Fleer card in the box and it's in gem mint 11 shape. I'm kind of disappointed, I would love to have a mangled Murph.

1970 #413 Sonny Jackson

Woot! A card off my 1970-1985 Braves wantlist that isn't finished and I told everyone to ignore! Hooray! Why does no one ever listen to me.... Surprisingly this is not the only Sonny Jackson card I got from Mark.

1975 #105 Buzz Capra
1975 #367 Craig Robinson
1975 #633 Paul Casanova

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if I combine my 1975 regular size and mini Braves cards I have a complete set. Of course if I were to do that all life as you know it would stop instantaneously and every molecule in your body would explode at the speed of light.

Pete Smith Autograph
George Lombard autograph

Two can't miss players who just sort of... did. Lombard is especially hard to swallow since he had committed to the Georgia Bulldogs as a running back before the Braves drafted him. Appropriate that this card be from a minor league set because now we have

A TON OF MINOR LEAGUE CARDS!

1988 Richmond Braves

Three cards from this set including ol' Blausey. These cards are slightly larger than normal, almost the size of Topps cards from the '50s.

1988 Durham Bulls

I have gotten a ton of Bulls cards recently... I'm posting another trade tomorrow that will make you moo from all the Bulls. Fielder's Choice must be jealous. For some reason Paul Marak's card was in a penny sleeve, so I'll show off him.

1989 Durham Bulls

The backs of these cards are all different colors for some reason. White with orange print, pink with blue print and white with blue print. Strange.

1990 Idaho Falls Braves

How'd you like to get drafted by a big league club and then be shipped off to Idaho?

1992 Richmond Braves

I told you there would be another Sonny Jackson popping up. That's all for the minor leaguers, it's time for some old timers!

1991 Conlon Collection

11 beautiful black & white Conlon cards of old Braves. Danny MacFayden shows off his specs in this card, also included are Pinky Whitney, Shanty Hogan, Stuffy McInnis and Heinie Meuller. Why don't we have nicknames like that anymore? Imagine Whiffy Francoeur, Jingle Bells Jurrjens, Bubsy McCann and Kumquats Kotchman playing for the Braves. It would make a 90-loss season more entertaining at least. Ok, last card before cutting off part 1.

1990-91 Skybox Doc Rivers

My favorite player in one of my favorite sets. I went berserk over these cards when they first came out, a condition that was exacerbated by the fact that I was a completely broke ass high school student. I didn't have a dime to my name the winter of '91. I only ended up shoplifting a couple of packs... three or five at the most. What, you thought Mario was the only card obsessed criminal around? Au contraire, mon frere! Gotta have my Skybox.

Up next, a whole lotta Braves who got a reprieve from the landfill!

No comments: