I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

2009 Topps

After a false start from an excellent prank from The Writer's Journey, the 2009 Topps design has finally been released.

Good looking stuff, it has a solid mid-90's Topps design feel to it. There are elements that remind me of '94 and '95 for sure, but it is definitely a new and unique design that does not overwhelm the photo unlike this year's effort. Insert themes evident from the images available are a huge emphasis on the MLB Legends that Topps recently acquired the rights to, a WBC rookie redemption program that looks intriguing, lots of manufactured letter patches, more retro cards and the Ring of Honor is the new Gen Now.

I'll admit, I'm suffering from an election night hangover and I'm not up for making too much effort today. Plus there's no Chipper images to swipe so what's the point. You can check out the images for yourself here:

The Beckett Blog


Wax Heaven - vote on your favorite design here

JayBee's Topps Blog - lots of excitement here

Hand Collated

Looks good. It hasn't gotten me out of my malaise yet though. I might feel different after a long off season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I defintely get that mid 1990s feel on this design. Initially I hated it, but it's growing on me ...

Oh, Check your e-mail regarding set needs ...

Ben/Newspaperman

PunkRockPaint said...

Does the border look extra wide to you???

It is growing on me though...

Wax Heaven said...

It looks awesome! I am excited for once and can't wait to put the disgusting 2008 design behind me!

dayf said...

The border looked really wide on last year's sell sheet images too. I remember there was a lot of arguing on Ben Henry's blog about that. I'm guessing that it will be normal on the actual cards.

ernest of canada said...

it's making me a little queasy. i don't know if topps will ever be able to outdo their 2005 design.